7.27.2010

Garden

The garden is growing very nicely this year. It's been a much hotter, less rainy summer, which has been so great for my tomatoes, peppers and green beans. Here are some pictures of the garden and some of its yield. Some late broccoli...did I mention that I have green beans? Oh man, so many green beans in my future.
The hot weather has also been great for the canteloupe! It's basically taking its half of the garden as you'll see below.

Peppers....mmmm
I planted some different kinds of tomatoes this year: we have green zebras (above), sun gold cherries (below), black cherries, and some other type of golden heirloom tomato. I also planted tomatillos and ground cherries. I'm not exactly sure what the story is with these, but they are small and grow like a tomatillo, but they taste like pineapple! It is so cool, but weird. I'll post a picture of them soon.
That's about it for now. I feasted on these little tomatoes last night with some of my homegrown basil and some mozzarella. July is just so great....the hard work finally pays off! The best part is that I've seen these plants from seedling to bearing fruit and I know that no pesticides have ever touched them and they didn't have to be shipped across the country causing their nutrients to fade and lots of gas to be consumed. I think it makes it all just a little sweeter. :)

4 comments:

Liz said...

There is NO WAY I could ever have a garden - I just don't have what it takes! It's been fun watching yours grow!! Yea for home-grown!

J Stu said...

scawing!

Ann Flowers said...

Being a great lover of garden art, I enjoyed going through your blog. keep on posting.

Mikki said...

Niiiice! Our black cherries plant is taller than Joe and has been pumping out the little deliciousnesses like crazy. Your garden looks fantaaaastic.